Thursday, May 27, 2010

A Little Getaway

I have been MIA for a little while, sorry! Things have been a bit stressful in my world, and have finally feel like they are starting to calm down. Luckily, I was able to get away for a couple of days with a good friend earlier this week. This particular friend, Michaela, is so much like me in so many, many ways; especially the cleaning way! When we were chatting on the 4 hour ride to New Hampshire, and reminiscing about how we met 7 years ago as freshmen in college, the topic of stuff came up. Stuff that we both have too much of. Stuff that we both will not get rid of. She was telling me a story about a conversation that she had with her mom, and it sounded very similar to one I had with Nick.
Mom/Nick: What are in the boxes you have in storage?
Michaela/Me: I don't know, stuff.
Mom/Nick: So, can we throw them away?
Michaela/Me: No!
Mom/Nick: But, you don't even know what's in them!
Michaela/Me: I know I need it!

It made me laugh and almost feel better that at least I was not alone. We then began comparing the stuff that we have in our closet that doesn't fit anymore, and the random other things that we know we don't need to keep (like the things we "colored" to de-stress during finals!). We both decided that we should try and help each other with getting rid of clothes. I can be cut throat with the stuff she can't wear anymore, and she could do the same for me and we could still keep our friendship intact!! I loved spending time with her, and knowing that I am not alone in my struggle!

1 comment:

  1. I think I may have mentioned this before...but I can't remember if it was to you or someone else! Every time I've moved I've gotten rid of some of that "stuff" that I have in storage...yet I still for whatever reason can't bear to part with about a dozen large boxes/tupperware tubs of the junk! It's frustrating but I find myself saying "NO! I need all of the stories I wrote in first and second grade!" (why???) "I can't get rid of my Breyer horses even though half of them are nicked to pieces and/or broken...I may have kids someday who will want them!" (yeah right, like I would have wanted any of MY parents' childhood toys) etc.

    ReplyDelete