Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Wellness Wednesday - Volleyball

When I was in 7th and 8th grade, we had what was called "wellness Wednesday" in gym class.  I think that it was once a month, if gym class fell on Wednesday, there would be a special set-up of things to do.  We would have to run a mile (timed), see how many pull ups and push ups we could do, and also do some flexibility tests.  I hated it.  I wasn't strong, I couldn't run, and I was not flexible in the least bit.  Even though I hated it, I thought it could be a good thing for my blog!  Keep a look out every week for an entry related to overall wellness (healthy recipes, workouts, ways to destress).


Today, I want to talk about volleyball!  I played volleyball in high school, and we were generally 3rd in our division and played against the two best teams in the state.  I also played my freshman year at a tiny women's college, but our team was not as good.  I think we won one game!  But, no matter how good the team I'm on is, I love to play.


Yesterday, I went to play at my hometown recreation center.  They have adult volleyball on Tuesday nights, and I have been trying to go every week.  I am not as good a I used to be (since I am out of practice and a bit out of shape), but I love to play.  I have been using "my fitness pal" to track my food and exercise, and according to them playing volleyball for 2 hours competitively in a gymnasium burns about 1350 calories!  Now I know why I was so skinny when I was playing ever day!


This is me, 40 lbs lighter, my freshman year of college when I was playing volleyball every day.  I am not trying to be this skinny again, I am hoping to lose about 20 lbs.
For me, playing volleyball is a fun way to mix up my work out routine.  It burns more calories than anything that I do at the gym, and works muscles that I just can't seem to target there, too.  I know that I will have a flat stomach in no time if I keep playing weekly.  Here's hoping!


Did you play any sports in high school or college?  Do you still play sports?  Do you do any nontraditional workouts?

1 comment:

  1. oooo I like the idea of "wellness wednesday"...maybe I'll join you in this endeavor!

    ReplyDelete