Friday, May 4, 2012

11 Days "Overdue"

For months, I have convinced myself that I would not worry about being past my due date.  I know that they are sort of arbitrary, and based on a couple of factors.  Since I wasn't sure exactly when my last period was, it was difficult for me to say for sure when I thought we conceived.  There was about a 2 week window that I thought it might have been.  Also, since Nick and I are both so tall, the ultrasound that we had to date the baby could have been wrong since she's likely to be pretty big.  I know these things.  And I know that MOST babies do not come on their due date.  There is a 4 week window where most babies are born.

But now that I am 11 days past that date, I am getting pretty frustrated.  I was really hoping that she would get here just a couple of days after her due date.  My parents both flew in 2 days after that day, so I was hoping that nothing would happen until they got here.  Now, my Dad has already had to extend his trip another week, since we weren't going to let him leave without meeting our baby girl!  My Mom is here until we buy her a return ticket.  They've been really good at trying to keep me occupied with other things, but it's starting to get tough.

At this point, I am going to the hospital every 3 days for Non Stress Tests.  Our baby is doing quite well at each of these.  Her heart rate is steady, my blood pressure is perfect.  She just doesn't seem ready to come on out.  So now, I find myself being one of those people that I didn't want to me.  Wishing and hoping that this baby will get here soon and feeling semi-miserable waiting.  Physically, I feel pretty damn good.  Emotionally, I am about to lose my mind.  I've seen 2 of my friends have their babies while I am still waiting.  They were both due after my date.  I am heading toward an induction date on Monday, and I am dreading that.  I know that each intervention that I have is going to make the natural birth that I want to have more difficult.  I know that induction can take time, it's not immediate.  I just am REALLY hoping that this baby is going to come on her own this weekend.  Tomorrow's a full moon, so here's hoping!


How did you feel once you got past your due date?  Were you discouraged about being induced?

1 comment:

  1. I was 10 years past my due date...oops I mean 10 days. It felt like years though.

    I think its because you have this magical "due date" that you are counting down to for 9 months.

    I promise she will come (soon). And she will be amazing!

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete